Sunday, January 4, 2015

How to sew round bolster pillow cover.


Today I am in the mood for sewing a cover for my round bolster pillow that I always usually cuddle in the bedtime. When I was young I never had even one night without it in my arms and of course, in the middle of my 2 long legs. Loooooooove to have it and cuddle it during the sleeping time.

I only have this size of the bolster pillow at home but nothing could stop me from sewing the cover today. Let start from the beginning then. Come on in....



Picture was taken by Ms. Joanna Ainscough and it belongs to her.

As I said I only had one size at home at the moment. But the sewing method would be the same way beside the size that you have to adjust according to your bolster pillow.





First of all, let measure the size of your bolster pillow to get the dimension for your pieces of fabric. You need the dimension of the 2 ends and 1 triangle piece for the main part of the bolster.

Simply surround your bolster pillow by the measure tape to get the length of the bolster pillow. I used a bowl in the kitchen to be the pattern of the 2 ends. How simple is that?






Picture was taken by Ms. Joanna Ainscough and it belongs to her.


 Mark around the edges of the bowl to be your seam and DO NOT forget the seam allowance when you cut the pieces of the fabric.I used 3/4 inch to get easy while I am sewing the main piece and the 2 ends together. Because you will have the sewing foot to be the guide right the way once you press the sewing down on.







Picture was taken by Ms. Joanna Ainscough and it belongs to her.

My design today was a little patchwork so I needed to sew the stripes together in order to get the design done. But you could use just one main piece of fabric which is ready to go and skip this section. Secured your project pieces together before you start to sew them together.



Picture was taken by Ms. Joanna Ainscough and it belongs to her.

Sew all the pieces as your design together to be your main piece of the bolster pillow cover. Then you will have 3 pieces which are the main piece and 2 ends.




Picture was taken by Ms. Joanna Ainscough and it belongs to her.

My bolster pillow is 16 inches long but I only 1 beige invisible zipper in my hands. Unfortunately, it was only 8 inches long which I would prefer to have the zipper at least around 12 inches. Longer of the zipper is the easier insert you would have when you slip the cover into your bolster.




 Picture was taken by Ms. Joanna Ainscough and it belongs to her.

Install the invisible zipper into the main piece and iron press to check your seam with the zipper. I am sure you'd prefer to have the zipper invisible. So please make sure to sew very very close to the zipper once you install it.


 Picture was taken by Ms. Joanna Ainscough and it belongs to her.

Now you have 3 pieces which are the main piece that have invisible zipper installed, 2 ends that I already surged all around the edges. Now we are ready to go for the finishing up.



Picture was taken by Ms. Joanna Ainscough and it belongs to her.

Match the end and the main piece together by secure them with flat pins. Push the fabric along while you are secure the pin into both pieces. Ensure you won't pin more than 2 pieces around the end. 

While you are piecing the end and the main cover together. Straight the project to be as same as the picture below. That way you will sew them easier and have the straight seam all around the end.


 Picture was taken by Ms. Joanna Ainscough and it belongs to her.

Sew another end to the piece that you have just done. Finally you will only have to flip the cover out and slip into your bolster pillow.



Picture was taken by Ms. Joanna Ainscough and it belongs to her.


It is not so hard but actually I also have another way that I used with the same pillow. My another cover looks like a wrapped candy and that kind was super easy to sew. Let me find sometime to design another of that candy pillow cover. I will show you how easy is that and we enjoy sewing together.









No comments:

Post a Comment